Sunday, September 1, 2013

Back from blogging break


I'm finally back from my blogging break! And I have to admit it was kinda hard to sit down and write a full blog post after weeks of reading only and (sadly) neglecting the blog. 
I've been home for a week now and spent the two weeks before in Denmark. Vacation was as relaxing and awesome as always. It was Amy's first vacation and after the first few hours of irritation about the new house she just loved it and claimed the beach as her new favourite place on earth. 



Her days were spent walking the humans. She played a lot with older dogs and was gloating that she was the fastest dog there. Her afternoons were mostly spent digging holes the size of a car, or nibbling sticks. And especially after stalking these poor anglers she was so tired she fell asleep on the couch. 


Again we stayed in one of the cute little cottages located on the west coast of Denmark, only a few feet separating you from the wide sandy beach.
The weather wasn't the best, wind and rain dominating our two weeks there. 
We still went to the beach every time we could and went on walks but I was more than happy to concentrate on reading. I read 7 1/2 books and approximately 2800 pages (and reduced the books I'm behind on my Goodreads challenge to only five!) which is a decent number for me.

I started the first book about ten minutes after we'd left town and mananged to squeeze in a little reading time during the car ride and in between uncomfortable naps. After finishing the fourth VAMPIRE ACADEMY book the night of our departure I couldn't wait to pick up the fifth book. And so the first book I read in Denmark was SPIRIT BOUND by Richelle Mead.




The VAMPIRE ACADEMY story got better and better with each new book added to the series. After a quick visit to Crystal Cove and the love story of Anna and Tyler in MOONGLASS by Jessi Kirby, I devoured the nearly 600 pages of  LAST SACRIFICE in only a few days.




My holiday reads were made up of a mixture between dark, thrilling books and sweet YA contemporaries. DANGEROUS GIRLS, THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US and TEN were not exactly highlight reads but pretty decent and enjoyable. 


Then I started my first Sarah Dessen book. About time! I really liked it and am looking forward to read many more of her books in future. When it was time to leave again I had only managed to get halfway through SUCH A RUSH (I had a few issues with this book but enjoyed it nevertheless).





 Here are a couple more pictures of the vacation and Amy and me chilling with the holiday reads on the beach (yep, I totally brought tiny beach towls for them, just for the pic of course LOL).

So I'm back with renewed energy and am set on spending much more time on blogging and commenting.
My goal is to write reviews immediately after finishing a book and putting it aside. I'm applying a new slightly different review scheme and am working on a new book quiz. 

That blogoversary thing... 

You can also expect a giveaway very soon since I had my three year blogoversary while I was on vacation. Can you believe it? 3 entire years of blogging and sometimes I still feel like I'm new to the business when reviews sound clumsy even after the fifth revision. But then I'm amazed that I get emails by fellow readers and bloggers asking for my advice! It feels insane and incredibly great at the same time and I'm so thankful for every small conversation on Twitter, book talk on Goodreads or comment on my blog (picture teary eyes here). They (and you) enrich my life. To many more years of friendship and book talk!!

Random Stuff 
 
* After the vacation I had a manic cleaning day and felt like re-organising my bookshelves. I hate that my series were left separated that way but I do love the pretty color sorting scheme.

* I watched a ton of movies. The Great Gatsby - never read the book but liked the movie even though it wasn't Leo's strongest performance. Argo - tough political conflict, outstanding Affleck. Wreck-It Ralph - possibly the wrost Disney movie ever. 

 
* And I started Breaking Bad. Never thought it'd be a series for me. Didn't know it would be that hilarious. Starting season 3 now.

 * I freaked out about the Divergent movie trailer. Who didn't?! 

* Two days ago I read a book that I now consider my favourite of 2013 (beside PIVOT POINT by Kasie West). THESE BROKEN STARS by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner was the best book I have read in quite a long time actually. The love story is...OH MY GOD, you'll LOVE it!! It doesn't come out until December 2013 but you should make sure to pre-order it as soon as possible!  



Tell me how you spent your summer and what awesome holiday reads you found! 


11 comments:

  1. I was on vacation last week! It was nice, had a house on the beach. sounds like we did pretty similar things. I read a lot as well. I'm trying to do some reviews and schedule them throughout the month since I'll be busy with grad school, etc. I don't want to neglect the blog too much.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!!!!

    I spend my home working- no big summer break for me! I will have my big break in November. Anyway, it looks like you had a wonderful time with lots of reading and relaxing!

    Cannot wait to These Broken Stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back from the blogging break and happy blogoversary! I'm glad Amy enjoyed the beach - she's a beautiful girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back from your vacation and I love your bookshelf organized by color! I couldn't handle that (my OCD would be OUT of control) but I agree, it's SOOOO pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the way you've organised your bookshelf! I've always wanted to do that, but haven't had the time yet. And happy blogoversary. Three years is a long time! Congrats on making it so far. :) It's nice to see you back from your break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back! ^^

    damn, your shelf looks AWSOME!!! :) i always wanted to do that, too, but i think, i will regret it xD i like my book order how is is and i dont think i could go back, after doing the rainbow thing :)

    i love the pictures! especially the one with the red house and the sunset :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I didn't go anywhere - too busy working to earn money to go back to uni - but that beach looks super relaxing. I know some people organize books by colour but I keep mine organized alphabetically just because I can quickly find my book. Lol, half the time I can't remember what colour the cover is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dog is adorable. Love how she snuggles up to the couch x)
    Reading on holidays is so relaxing. No work, no internet, just you, the beach and and a bunch of books. I'm a bit jealous :P

    I'm looking forward to your new review style :) I found it really helpful to write reviews right after finishing a book or at least before starting the next book. I'm just more focused on the last story and not already thinking about new characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy third blogoversary :)
    Your holiday pictures look awesome! I really have to go to Denmark someday.
    You gotta read "The Great Gatsby". But don't do it right away. Now that you've seen the movie you've got to let some time pass to forget the movie. I read it a few years ago and I really liked it. It's a quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god, Amy is so very gorgeous. Love all the pictures and if I weren't one vacation at the beach, envy would wash all over me. ;) It's great to see that you finally found some big reading time.
    Wish I would be that focused these days.

    Also, I wish you all the best to your Bloganiversary. To the next 3! :) I am looking forward to you future post.


    Greetings,
    Sandy aka Nightingale

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy is a doll!! It's funny, because I always say the same thing about my dog: he takes me for walks, not the other way around, haha. Sounds like you had a truly lovely vacation! And MEGA CONGRATS on 3 years of blogging!!! That is HUGE and you should be very proud. Great job!

    Some other things:
    -it's exciting to hear that Vampire Academy gets better and better!
    -love the colour-sorted shelves!
    -Breaking Bad is hilarious? I thought it was about a drug dealer?
    -Divergent looks great!
    -I have These Broken Stars for review, too - can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete