Friday, March 25, 2011

Book Review: Evernight (Evernight #1) by Claudia Gray

Title: Evernight (Evernight #1)
Author: Claudia Gray
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publishing Date: February 2009
Length: 352 pages
Genre: YA, fantasy, paranormal romance

3,5/5 *** Evernight- A cool and gloomy novel. It’s all about vampires, secrets and a forbidden love story! 


~ The Author ~

Claudia Gray is not her real name. She didn't choose a pseudonym because her real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because she'd always dreamed of calling herself this (she hasn't) or even because she’s hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel she smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, she took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actually the best reason to do things.

She lives in New York City. So far, in life, she's been a disc jockey, a lawyer, a journalist and an extremely bad waitress, just to name a few. She especially likes to spend time traveling, hiking, reading and listening to music. More than anything else, she enjoys writing.

Author profile by Goodreads 

For further information visit www.claudiagray.com or Claudia’s blog www.claudiagray.com/blog

~ The Novel ~

Evernight is the first novel in the Evernight series, first published in February 2009 by HaperTeen. The second and third novels are Stargazer (2009) and Hourglass (2010). The final instalment in this series is called Afterlife and was recently published in March 2011.

~ The Story ~

Bianca wants to escape. She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in. Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

Summary by Goodreads 

To read Evernight’s prologue, click here

~ The Review ~

The Evernight academy is not like any other school. It’s the perfect setting for the numerous secrets being hidden and the looming battles between ancient and hated foes. 

Bianca is our heroine, a young girl whose life is mostly ruled by her parents’ decisions and opinions. She is an average character that has still to develop her own voice and find her way. What really surprised me is that Gray only reveals a major aspect of Bianca’s character in the last third of Evernight. I was surprised to find out what Bianca really is.

Bianca’s parents want her to attend a new school and leave her hometown. She isn’t content and tries to run away which is the best scene to encounter the reason to stay, Lucas. The most fascinating aspect about Bianca’s and Lucas’ relationship is that they fall in love without even knowing with whom or what. Both have secrets on their own and are less than willing to reveal them. I wonder how their differences and family conflicts can be solved, Bianca and Lucas are a really interesting couple I can't wait to read more about. 

I’ve read so many fantasy novels centring around a forbidden love story recently, but I am not tired of them yet. Evernight is not the best vampire novel I’ve ever read, but I really enjoyed the read, because it offers new perspectives on the genre. 

~ We love this book because… ~

1) black-and-white movies are timeless
2) paintings always have a meaning
3) of a beautiful brooch
4) we wouldn’t mind having a modern technology course
5) of an exciting battle between vampires and their hunters

~ The Verdict ~

A gloomy school setting and a bunch of versatile characters with many secrets qualify Evernight as a good first novel in this vampire novel series.  The fight between vampires against the vampire hunters of Black Cross has just begun and we can expect a lot of action and revelations in the next three books in the Evernight series.Great read for vampire fans!

8 comments:

  1. I just bought the last book in the series, I'm really looking forward to reading it! I might have to read the series again though, I just read your 'We love this book because...' section and I can't remember what they mean... :L Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Just stopping by from BookBlogs. Your blog is really cute. :)

    If you get a free moment, feel free to visit mine as well. www.gabriellenesiba.blogspot.com

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. l agree, it's not the best l have ever read either but this series does get so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks foe the review it was really helpful becuase it was thinking of buying it and now i will :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your review. The Evernight series is a decent read, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything I am going to read again. If anything, it came out around the same time as the Twilight books, so it kind of got shafted compared to Stephanie Meyer's books, and when I read it I was expecting it to live up to the Twilight standard that has now been set (although I do not like the Twilight series, I admit it was well written). However, this series is good on its own, and I will still read each book as they come out, but they are not something I am going to read over and over.
    www.InAWorldOfBooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    I totally agree with your review :) And I was also very surprised for Bianca, I didn't realise it before so it was a bit of a shock.

    It's not the best vampires book I've read but I think I will still read the second one. And the review are more enthusiastic for the rest of the serie.

    I'm sorry for the English :) I can read it quite well but writing it is another story for me.

    Happy reading from France ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this book several times and wondered how good it would be. I may have to try this series. I'll let you tell me how good the others are though before I pick it up.

    ReplyDelete