Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Review: Die For Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum


Title: Die For Me (Revenants #1)
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: Atom
Publishing Date: May 5th 2011
Length: 352 pages
Genre: YA, fantasy, paranormal romance
Source: ARC from publisher

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

Summary by Goodreads 



DIE FOR ME centres around a new concept of paranormal being, the revenants, whose existence is caused by nobility on the one hand and by hatred and anger on the other hand.

We get to meet protagonists Kate and Vicent and their families.Our heroine is very likely, with a modest and caring character, our male protagonist can be described as a very gentle, understanding and sexy Frenchman.
The relationship is really sweet , I am already eager to read more about them and how they are interacting together, always very cautious although there is not really a need to.

I sense a love triangle emerging, which could hold some difficulties since the potential charmeur is also a good friend of Vincent.

Set in Paris, DIE FOR ME takes us on a trip through the atmospheric and lovely capital of France. Amy Plum worked out a fantastic map of locations and settings by wandering the streets and sharing her favourite spots with her readers.

Plum's writing is solid and entertaining. She doesn't bore her readers with dragging dialogues, but keeps them sweet and short. She involves some popular culture references which make DIE FOR ME also a youthful read.

At some points DIE FOR ME was a bit slow paced, there are some moments with very few progress for the plot. But I see that DIE FOR ME as it is the first novel in a series is mostly to explain its concept of revenants and introduce its lovely characters. At the moment I cannot see where this story is heading, but that's exactly what makes it an exciting read.

1) we are all escapists at heart
2) we are already looking for our own reading spot in a cute Parisian cafe
3) we love French food
4) of many atmospheric and cute settings
5) of an engaging concept of new paranormal being



4/5 **** DIE FOR ME- A new paranormal concept mixed with the perfect setting and likeable characters resulsts in a sweet new YA novel with heart!

This novel by debut author Amy Plum is like a box of petit fours filled with sweet romance and Parisian esprit, layered with dark enemies and finished with a tasty fantasy frosting. Hungry? Go get DIE FOR ME and give this new taste a try.



* Watch the DIE FOR ME book trailer here

* Make sure to visit www.amyplumbooks.com

* Thanks to Atom for sending me a copy of DIE FOR ME by Amy Plum! 


17 comments:

  1. I adored this. It was a really fresh take on paranormal. Can't wait for the next book. Great review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a whole new paranormal concept! l just love it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved the book and I absolutely adore your verdict! I love to bake petit fours and I think you just gave me an idea for the next round's decoration ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book so. And I absolutely love your review for it. Especially the last little bit of 'The Verdict'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!I really liked the book, it was a breath of freash air in the paranormal theme for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, loved your review! If you want to, here is mine: http://smartgirls-read.blogspot.com/2011/05/die-for-me-guest-review.html

    I love this book as much as you do ;) It is so perfect, isn't it?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I have to get my hands on this one since you've convinced me to. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, do you really think we have a love triangle ahead of us? I didn't even consider it, I thought Vincent's friend was only making fun but now that you mentioned it... oh the horror! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book - isn't the setting divine!! I also sense a possible love triangle emerging, but I already know what team I'm on. My heart belongs to Vincent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wasn't a fan of this... was I the only one? :'(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good review like it a lot, this book sound interesting

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was still sad every time I look at this book. I have requested through NG but the published did not approved it.

    Just like yours, the reviews around the blogosphere loved this book. I think I have to find a way to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific review. I was curious about this one. It also has had mixed reviews. But the cover is so gorgeous!

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the nice review. I like how you said that you have no idea where the story is going. This makes the story even more intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. loved the review. I always thought jules was kidding but as the book progressed, I thought he was getting a little too serious. I really hope it's not a love triangle, I'm tired od them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your review, can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really looking forward to reading this book! The cover is a really pretty red. Great review!

    ReplyDelete