Saturday, May 7, 2011

Book Review: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin



Title: Low Red Moon
Author: Ivy Devlin
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publishing Date: February 2011
Length: 256 pages
Genre: YA, fantasy, paranormal romance
Source: Finished copy from Publisher

The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died. 

 Summary by Goodreads 


Avery, our main character and narrator, is as plain as the story she’s telling, revising the murder of her parents the whole time. Her thoughts are mostly marked by iteration loops of questions and thoughts. This girl has talents and because they are paranormal they need no further explanation, still they seem so weird.

We witness an immediate attraction between Avery and Ben, the male protagonist. I am a fan of magical first sight attractions but the relationship between Avery and Ben comes out very unreasonable and annoying. The make out scenes, although without further reason behind, are good but at some points a turn-off.

Secondary characters are also weakly constructed elements that only help to delay the already very short story a bit. During the whole read I didn't get to like one single character enough to care for his end. That might be because Devlin doesn't offer a profound background to their story or only involves them in hollow dialogues and meaningless actions.

Devlin’s writing style is average, defined by a low vocabulary diversity and a series of the same or similar phrase structures.

The murder case does have some potential, but Devlin only developed an obvious and boring conclusion. From the beginning I knew how LOW RED MOON was going to end. Facts and details that are hyped throughout the entire novel turn out to be rational explanations in the end, nothing paranormal. So I was confused about the involvement of paranormal creatures where it does not even fit or would be necessary to realise the plot.

I have got no idea what the low red moon is supposed to mean and why each time the word “moon” is mentioned in the text, it's highlighted in red ink.
What I appreciate is that Bloomsbury created a costly graphic design, working with the colors black, red and white and the picture of a forest.The story is set in a wooded landscape, so the layout definitely fits the story of LOW RED MOON.

1) of a very costly graphic page design
2) of its love of nature
3) we like to solve murder mysteries
4) it has good makeout scenes
5) grandmas are great


2/5 ** LOW RED MOON- A novel with costly appearance and unfortunately without substance! 

An average writing cannot save Devlin's hollow characters and dialogues. In this case I would suggest less trying to incorporate paranormal elements and a higher focus on the establishment of a serious murder case. Unfortunately not a 2011 UK debut I would recommend, but in the end you should try it yourselves to find out if you like it.



* If you want to visit Ivy Devlin's webspace, click here (last update in September 2010)

* You can watch the LOW RED MOON book trailer here

* Thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me a finished copy a LOW RED MOON! 

12 comments:

  1. So definitely a novel with the tag "hands off"? I have read some more less favourable reviews in other places, too...
    Thanks for firming that up!

    Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, although I must say, I'm now curious about what the inside of the book looks like. Never seen words highlighted in anything before. At least I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so this book is not the thing for me.....but thanks for the great review anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though this is one of your less favorable reads, I appreciate the reasons you give for not liking it. I too have seen others who didn't care for this book as well. With all I have to read right now, I take your word on it not being that good...since we have the same taste in books! Great review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could handle negative reviews like you do. Great and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame you didn't enjoy this that much but not every book is for everyone!
    I love the red on the pages too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The graphic design sounds cool but I've heard so many bad things about this book by now that I will most def. not pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard others complain about this novel. I've been curious about it, just because low ratings intrigue me. However, poor writing is just no excuse.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new book for me. I have never seen it around.
    Again, I found another "evidence" that a great character become the first requirement of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt the same way. I did not understand why moon was in red all the time. So very confused. The murder mystery was the only part I liked. I hated Avery and Ben. It just felt so unnatural. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have hear of this book, I don't know if i buy it now =). like the sincerity of the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good murder mystery! Haven't heard anything about this one, but I will look out for it.

    ReplyDelete