Sunday, December 29, 2013

Most Anticipated Sequels of 2014 - Teaser Edition

The best about a new year beginning is all the books that are being released into the wild. With only two days remaining in 2013 it's time to share my most anticipated sequels of 2014. I tried to supply you with teasers,  but couldn't find them for every book on my list. So some of the teasers are actual quotes from the previous book of each series. I counted eight out of ten books on my list marking the end of a series and two books are the second books in their series. 2014 will be an unbelievably emotional book year I'm sure!

Again the third MARA DYER book is one of my most anticipated sequels (you could also find it on my 2013 list, but then it was pushed back until June 2014). The good news about that is, that the additional eight months wait not only justify but demand a re-read of the first two books = NOAH!!! 


# 1  The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

"The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that I was covered in blood.
The second thing I noticed was that this didn’t bother me the way it should have.
I didn’t feel the urge to scream or speak, to beg for help, or even to wonder where I was. Those instincts were dead, and I was calm as my wet fingers slid up the tiled wall, groping for a light switch. I found one without even having to stand. Four lights slammed on above me, one after the other, illuminating the dead body on the floor just a few feet away.
My mind processed the facts first. Male. Heavy. He was lying face down in a wide, red puddle that spread out from beneath him. The tips of his curly black hair were wet with it. There was something in his hand.
The fluorescent lights in the white room flickered and buzzed and hummed. I moved to get a better view of the body. His eyes were closed. He could have been asleep, really, if it weren’t for the blood. There was so much of it. And by one of his hands it was smeared into a weird pattern.
No. Not a pattern. Words.
PLAY ME.
My gaze flicked to his hand. His fist was curled around a small tape recorder. I moved his fingers—still warm—and pressed play. A male voice started to speak.
“Do I have your attention?” the voice said.
I knew that voice. But I couldn’t believe I was hearing it."



PIVOT POINT was one of my top three favourite reads of 2013 and the ending totally killed me. I knew I couldn't wait one year for its sequel and I'm so glad I got my hands on an ARC of SPLIT SECOND. Of course I already read it. Knowing how desperate I was to read it, it still has to be on this list.



# 2  Split Second by Kasie West

"Just promise me something. If this is a Search and you don't pick me, don't pick this path, for whatever reason, promise me you won't Erase me." ― Pivot Point quote 







♥  The day I picked up the first THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS book was mostly spent reading and falling in love with Clary and Jace and their love story. It still feels like yesterday that I read CITY OF BONES and I can't believe 2014 marks the year that this incredible series comes to an end, with its sixth book CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE.

# 3 City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

 
" Isabelle tugged her tank top back down and glared at her brother. “You don’t knock now?”
“It’s my bedroom!” Alec spluttered. "








I know very few people who didn't love ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and its companion LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR and many readers have been waiting for the happily ever after for over two years now. Stephanie Perkins is a brilliant YA contemporary author and everyone who is following her blog should know that she should get all the time she needs to finish her books the way she wants them to end. It's the third time that I put ISLA on my most anicipated list of books of the year to come and that only shows my faith in her writing, I think.

# 4  Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

"Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl."  ― Lola and the Boy Next Door quote



It took me some time to notice Maureen Johnson's SHADES OF LONDON series. It's no wonder that once I got started on it I didn't want it to end. THE MADNESS UNDERNEATH had such a maddening ending that I've been anxious about reading the third book ever since. I couldn't find a teaser for THE SHADOW CABINET, so I'm sharing this beautiful fan art I found on a THE NAME OF THE STAR fan site.

# 5 

The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson

"I remember how, at first, I had felt the tension in his lips, as if he was trying to make a barrier between us - then they had relaxed, parted slightly. And that's when I had known he wanted to kiss me, wanted to give in. That little parting of the lips, the little sigh that came out... I would hear that sigh forever. That little, little sound when the whole world seemed to open up." ― The Madness Underneath quote




SWEET RECKONING is another third book in a series. Anna and Kaidan are one of my favourite YA couples and Wendy Higgins writes the sexiest scenes. I'm always fanning myself when Kaidan enters a scene. No need to say April can't come soon enough!

Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins  # 6

"I texted Kaidan, who was listed in my contacts under “James,” for James Bond. He’d chosen it. He had me listed as “Hot Chick From Gig.”
Video chat in 30.
His immediate response made me shake my head.
Clothing optional?
It was nice to know he could keep a sense of humor in the face of calamity. Or maybe he wasn’t joking...
“Are you two flirting?” Patti asked, her eyes darting to me from the road.
I blushed and deleted his message."




Amie and Meagan are two of the friendliest and lovliest authors I'm following on Twitter. They are funny and so creative. They may not be related, but I aways imagine them as the writing Gilmore Girls who just don't happen to be mother and daughter, but best friends. These two author girls rock! THESE BROKEN STARS was my favourite read in 2013, so it's only natural that THIS SHATTERED WORLD can be found on this list of most anticipated reads of 2014. 


 # 7 This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

"For a moment the image before us is frozen: our world, our lives, reduced to a handful broken stars half lost in uncharted space. Then it's gone, the view swallowed by the hyperspace winds streaming past, blue-green auroras wiping the after-images away.

Until all that's left is us"  ― These Broken Stars quote




SHATTER ME was a book that swept me off my feet and knocked me down with its awesomeness. UNRAVEL ME was an ok read most of the time and a brilliant in some scenes. I expect my heart to be severely broken in IGNITE ME!


# 8  Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

"Wake up", he whispers.
A sharp intake of breath and I'm awake but not up, surprised but not scared, somehow staring into the deperately green eyes that seem to know too much, too well. 
Aaron Warner Anderson is bent over me, his worried eyes inspecting me, his hand caught in the air like he might've been about to touch me. 
He jerks back."







ALL OUR YESTERDAYS is Cristin Terrill's debut novel. I read it as a standalone and it was another favourite 2013 debut of mine. A few days after I finished the first book I found out that Cristin Terrill is writing a sequel. Major fan girl moment! 


# 9  All Our Yesterdays #2 by Cristin Terrill

"Let me look at you.” I pull away and put my hands on his cheeks, examining his face. Blue eyes, of course. And how could I forget that mouth? Thin pink lips with one crooked corner always suggesting a mocking smile. My God, how had I never noticed before how handsome he is? “You need a haircut.”
He rubs the side of his thumb over my cheekbone. “You’re beautiful."  ― All Our Yesterdays quote




It took me over a year to pick up EVERBOUND after reading EVERNEATH. The second book in Brodi Ashton's first series was even better than her debut and thanks to Harper Collins I was lucky enough to dive into the third book right after finishing the second. It was a great reading experience and I'm sure many readers will love the ending to this series. Only three weeks till it will be released! 

Evertrue by Brodie Ashton # 10

"However he'd found his way here, it didn't matter. I knew then that the boy under the tree had to be mine. That floppy hair should be mine to touch. That big, knuckly boy hand should be mine to hold. That gruff voice should be mine to hear, and those ears should be mine to tell all my secrets to. Except for the biggest secret. That I loved him. More than the crush I was dealing with for years. More than I should've loved a best friend. More than he would ever love me back. I was gone for him." ― Everbound quote 




Q! What are your most anticipated reads of 2014? Tell me in the comments, on Twitter or feel free to link me to your posts. 

3 comments:

  1. When we don't get some news about The Shadow Cabinet soon I'm gonna go berserk. After that ending she could at least tell us when it's coming out.

    And I 100% agree with "NOAH!!!" I already reread the first one when the 2nd came out but can't get enough of Noah so I'm gonna reread them again :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich glaub ich bin eine der Wenigen, die nicht verzweifelt nach dem dritten Mara Dyer Teil lechzen XD Ich werde das Buch natürlich auch lesen, aber ich muss es nicht sofort haben. Pivot Point und die zwei City of Teile habe ich bisher auch noch nicht gelesen, freu mich aber schon drauf. Wo wir wieder bei den angefangenen Reihen wären: kenne Lola and the boy next door und Unravel me noch nicht XD Ist aber auf meiner Merkliste. Die anderen Titel muss ich mir mal genauer anschauen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay :D Awesome post. <3 I am dying for many of these. Especially Mara Dyer #3 :) Been waiting FOREVER for that one. Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete