Saturday, April 16, 2011

Book Review: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2) by Kimberly Derting





Title: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2)
Author: Kimberly Derting
Publisher: Headline
Publishing Date: March 2011
Length: 368 pages
Genre: YA, romance, mystery
Source: Bought 


The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger. 

Summary by Goodreads 



 Several weeks have passed since the incidents of THE BODY FINDER. Now that Violet and Jay have changed their status from best friends and to more than friends one could think their relationship wouldn’t be intriguing anymore. Although they are together neither has lost his unique personality. Both protagonists develop new sides of their personalities and show that they can ,beside being together,  still be two individuals.

Kimberly Derting generously considered our demand for more Jay and Violet and wrote so many more exciting, romantic and steamy scenes that one has to love  DESIRES OF THE DEAD only on their account.

Violet is finally willing to explore the wide possibilities of her talent to sense the dead and Jay more than ever determined to protect her. There were  times Violet annoyed me with her stoic and reckless behaviour, but in the end it were the conflicts, are always the conflicts that awake my interest.

With the new case Violet is eventually thrown into and the involvement of the FBI, new dimensions of her ability are demonstrated. We get a glimpse of the working methods of the FBI and meet many new characters that communicate a different spirit than already established characters.

We meet Sarah who works for the FBI and her assistant Rafe who is the most mysterious character in this series so far. Although Violet has a relationship with Jay there is something that also connects her with Rafe. He knows things he couldn’t know and does things he shouldn’t do.
I sense a love triangle emerging and am really anxious to read about the relationship and feelings between the three of them. As I already stated I am team Jay , but I can’t resist that pull to excitingly new character Rafe. I really want to find out what’s the matter with him and which role he plays in Violet's life. He seems to have a special ability of his own and I cannot wait for Derting to reveal it.

The new murder case is not the only criminal and immoral incident that is thematised. A new family has moved to town with a bunch of secrets in tow. I don't want to go into detail, you should find out yourselves.

As in THE BODY FINDER Derting's writing is excellent and absorbing. She writes about the darker sides of life and the wicked thoughts of the human mind and is totally authentic and believable. Her language is rich, her characters are interestingly edgy and her story well-developed.

The story is told from Violet’s point of view on the one hand, on the other we also hear thoughts and witness actions of another narrator. This person is not as insane as THE BODY FINDER murderer, but sometimes just equally creepy. Derting plays with her readers and our loyalty towards Violet when applying a second point of view that is determined by the hatred for Violet and whose actions are directed towards the goal of Violet’s destruction.

I am more than thrilled about Derting’s announcement of two more novels in THE BODY FINDER series and I am terribly curious to find out what happens next, which other bodies haunt Violet and if someone or somewhat could be able to come between this special something that connects Jay and Violet.

 1) more talents should be moved to a professional base
2) most important is staying true… and oreos
3) of our favourite bodyguard
4) of its remarkably gorgeous kissing scenes
5) of Derting's ability to throw light on the darkest sides of life



 DESIRES OF THE DEAD can definitely fulfill the desires of every reader in search for a phenomenal novel with high creep 'n' cuddle factor!


 
 

* For those of you who haven't already started this series, check out THE BODY FINDER, the first  novel in this series!

* You can download an excerpt (first seven chapters!) of DESRES OF THE DEAD here

*Watch the book trailer here

* Make sure to visit www.kimberlyderting.com


10 comments:

  1. woo whoo! so glad you enjoyed this sequel! its next in my pile, but I was kind of afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype! don't think i've read a bad review for me, which makes me happy :) thanks for sharing!

    Diana
    ps. thanks for keeping it spoiler free! some reviews ive read practically have the whole plot explained in the review :\ thanks for keeping it clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot WAIT to get stuck into this series. I've had the first one on my Kindle since it was released. Sounds amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOO looking forward to reading this! I really loved The Body Finder! (Team Jay!) I'm hoping to start on this soon. :) Thanks for sharing an awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sense trouble ahead with this Rafe guy too. You know I will be Team Jay forever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blog. Dig your reviews -- will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Like Leanna I see trouble with Rafe too. But I am hope I am wrong. Jay is just too awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to read this sequel! I have it on my TBR pile but haven't had the time....

    I'm not happy about the love triangle...specially because Jay is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you review the first book also? I'd love to read it. I have put the series on my will to buy list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review, we are on the same page with this one! I can't get enough Violet and Jay, I'm glad their romance was increased in this one, but I also like that it didn't completely take over the story. Can't wait for the next 2 books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodie, I'm glad you liked this book...you know I'll read this series eventually! Especially for the sexy kissing scenes!

    ReplyDelete